[WBEL-users] New to List

Greg Kelley Greg Kelley" <gkelley@britannicaviation.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:10:24 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C41D40.F202AAB0

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the list as I'm considering WBEL as a replacement to my =
current RH9 installs. I'm yet another 'orphaned' user from RedHat =
Network looking for ongoing solutions. My needs are simple:

UK Office has a Delll 2650 with RAID5. Running SAMBA 3.02 and CUPS 1.17 =
and is only a File/Print Server.

US Office has a Dell 1300 with no RAID and is running Apache, php, =
PostgreSQL, Hylafax, qMail, Qmailscanner, Spamassassin, F-Secure AV, =
SAMBA, CUPS, and a Document Management System called 'The Repository'. =
This is our main production server.

Both servers have been updated via up2date and have been mostly glitch =
free for over 3 years. I'm not convinced Fedora (even Core2) would be a =
suitable replacement for RH9 in this environment. Ideas, thoughts, =
comments regarding WBEL and it's future stability and reliability to =
provide accurate update RPMs would be welcomed.

The enterprise server version of SUSE is over $600 which is way over the =
Redhat $350 for their server product. As I said ad nauseum on the Redhat =
Network List, I have no problem PAYING for an update service (reasonable =
fees like $150/yr per server) but I won't be blackmailed into RedHat's =
offering. As I see it we have two steps to Linux Server Nirvana:

1 Get a correct and LEGAL copy of the RPMs to build the initial system
2 Find a reputable, accurate, and current source of update RPMs

Once these are in place, it's simply 'business as usual' as it has been =
for me over the past three years. I find it hard to believe that SOMEONE =
hasn't stepped up to the plate to offer a commercial update service for =
everyone abandoned by RedHat. Seems like a business opportunity waiting =
to happen.

Rgds,
__________________________
Greg Kelley, Technology Director
Britannic Aviation, US & UK
68 New Hampshire Ave.
Portsmouth, NH 03801
603.766.3005
http://www.britannicaviation.com
CFII - SEL, MEL, Comm Glider
AOPA, EAA, FSA
------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C41D40.F202AAB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi Folks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm new to the list as I'm considering WBEL as a =
replacement=20
to my current RH9 installs. I'm yet another 'orphaned' user from RedHat =
Network=20
looking for ongoing solutions. My needs are simple:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>UK Office has a Delll 2650 with RAID5. Running SAMBA =
3.02 and=20
CUPS 1.17 and is only a File/Print Server.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>US Office has a Dell 1300 with no RAID and is =
running Apache,=20
php, PostgreSQL, Hylafax, qMail, Qmailscanner, Spamassassin, F-Secure =
AV, SAMBA,=20
CUPS, and a Document Management System called 'The Repository'. This is =
our main=20
production server.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Both servers have been updated via up2date and have =
been=20
mostly glitch free for over 3 years. I'm not convinced Fedora (even =
Core2) would=20
be a suitable replacement for RH9 in this environment. Ideas, thoughts, =
comments=20
regarding WBEL and it's future stability and reliability to provide =
accurate=20
update RPMs would be welcomed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The enterprise server version of SUSE is over $600 =
which is=20
way over the Redhat $350 for their server product. As I said ad nauseum =
on the=20
Redhat Network List, I have no problem PAYING for an update service =
(reasonable=20
fees like $150/yr per server) but I won't be blackmailed into RedHat's =
offering.=20
As I see it we have two steps to Linux Server Nirvana:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>1 Get a correct and LEGAL copy of the RPMs to build =
the=20
initial system</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>2 Find a reputable, accurate, and current source of =
update=20
RPMs</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Once these are in place, it's simply 'business as =
usual' as it=20
has been for me over the past three years. I find it hard to believe =
that=20
SOMEONE hasn't stepped up to the plate to offer a commercial update =
service for=20
everyone abandoned by RedHat. Seems like a business opportunity waiting =
to=20
happen.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Rgds,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>__________________________<BR>Greg Kelley, =
Technology=20
Director<BR>Britannic Aviation, US &amp; UK<BR>68 New Hampshire=20
Ave.<BR>Portsmouth, NH 03801<BR>603.766.3005<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.britannicaviation.com">http://www.britannicaviation.co=
m</A><BR>CFII=20
- SEL, MEL, Comm Glider<BR>AOPA, EAA, FSA</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C41D40.F202AAB0--