[WBEL-users] New to List

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:31:35 -0400 (EDT)

Greg Kelley said:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm new to the list as I'm considering WBEL as a replacement to my current
> RH9 installs. I'm yet another 'orphaned' user from RedHat Network looking
> for ongoing solutions. My needs are simple:
>
> UK Office has a Delll 2650 with RAID5. Running SAMBA 3.02 and CUPS 1.17
> and is only a File/Print Server.
>
> US Office has a Dell 1300 with no RAID and is running Apache, php,
> PostgreSQL, Hylafax, qMail, Qmailscanner, Spamassassin, F-Secure AV,
> SAMBA, CUPS, and a Document Management System called 'The Repository'.
> This is our main production server.
[snip]
> The enterprise server version of SUSE is over $600 which is way over the
> Redhat $350 for their server product. As I said ad nauseum on the Redhat
> Network List, I have no problem PAYING for an update service (reasonable
> fees like $150/yr per server) but I won't be blackmailed into RedHat's
> offering. As I see it we have two steps to Linux Server Nirvana:

You might want to look at Red Hat's RHPW product.  It is RHEL WS with just
updates and is under $100.  It will out of the box meet your UK needs, and
with the help of WBEL's ProgreSQL package should fill your US needs.

[snip]
> I find it hard to believe that SOMEONE
> hasn't stepped up to the plate to offer a commercial update service for
> everyone abandoned by RedHat. Seems like a business opportunity waiting to
> happen.

I think it is just simply a matter of people underestimating how much work
providing stable packages with backported updates is.  Progeny is doing it
for some of the RHL line, but for less than 1 year IIRC, not 5.

--
William Hooper