[WBEL-users] Re: wbel-u] New to List

R P Herrold herrold@owlriver.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:34:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, William Hooper wrote:

> [snip]
> > I find it hard to believe that SOMEONE
> > hasn't stepped up to the plate to offer a commercial update service for
> > everyone abandoned by RedHat. Seems like a business opportunity waiting to
> > happen.
>
> I think it is just simply a matter of people underestimating how much work
> providing stable packages with backported updates is.  Progeny is doing it
> for some of the RHL line, but for less than 1 year IIRC, not 5.

  http://www.owlriver.com/support/wings/

Progeny has approached the mass market with a general
coverage offering with a short tail and a low pricepoint; Owl
River (and others) will support anything but the price point
(pricing is basically T & M) is such that without a hundred
or so chassis to sptrad the load, and handle the overhead of
getting the VPN in place, it is not economic.

-- Russ Herrold