[WBEL-users] RPM Gui?

Eric B. ebenze@hotmail.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:00:10 -0400

Hi,

I've been away from linux GUI for quite some while - I think the last time I
used a gui in Linux was back in 97...  (RH 3, I think...).  Anyhow, I now
find myself wanting to install WhiteBox with the GUI and ensure that as many
GUI features as possible are available (others will be admin'ing the system
as well, and I don't want to teach them all the cmd lines! :)).

I've noticed that RH has changed the RPM gui in WhiteBox.  It used to show
you the package dependencies, the list of files it was going to install,
etc...  The new redhat-config-packages doesn't really seem to display
anything.  And furthermore, I can't figure out how to use it to manually
inspect stand-alone rpm files (ie: files not in an the ISO)

Am I missing something here?  Or is there something better I could be using
instead?

Also, this is something that has been haunting me for a while; when
installing something using the RPM manager, is there a way to tell it to a)
verify all dependencies and b) download all missing dependencies?  I am
tired of always having to do the dependency downloads by hand....

Thanks!

 Eric