[WBEL-users] RPM Gui?

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:31:07 -0500

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 12:50:45PM -0400, Eric B. wrote:

<snip... description of RPM>
> Although the above steps work fine, they can be a pain in the butt
> sometimes.  What I am wondering is if I can use yum to install the manually
> d/l'ed local version of mysql rpm and have yum search its repository for
> missing dependencies.
>
> From my understanding of yum, if/when i use yum install, it will only
> install the pkg from the repository - ie: d/l the requested pkg and its
> dependencies from the repo.  Not use the local rpm file that I manually
> d/l'ed earlier.
>
> Am I making sense here, or am I asking for something too extreme?

The most obvious thing to me is to do one of two things:

1. Track down an existing YUM archive.  For popular packages that can't
be had via regular distributors, try freshrpms.net.  They appear to
have releases for a number of packages.  I don't see one for WBL, or
Enterprise Linux.  However, you can probably use a number of the
packages from Fedora/RH9 to do this.

2. Alternatively, you could setup your own local YUM repository.  It's
not hard, search for the command yum-arch in google.  It'll come up
with a have dozen sites.  Duke University (I believe they maintain
YUM), has a wonderful set of documentation.

Poke around here:
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

Yum can easily do cross-repository updates.  So once you get the
stuff downloaded, update your repository headers, run your favorite
YUM GUI tool.  You could script the entire process for someone who
was unfamilar with it.  All they have to do is get the file to the
i386 dir, have the script rebuild the header files.

You'd probably best off downloading the source, and building the
RPM from source unless they are built for RHEL 3.0.  Then sign the
package, dump it into your YUM repository.  However, that's not a
GUI-able thing.

	Thanks,
		Kirby