[WBEL-users] RPM Gui?

Eric B. ebenze@hotmail.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:50:45 -0400

"William Hooper" <whooperhsd2@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1623.12.29.16.103.1081442115.squirrel@12.29.16.103...

> Eric B. said:
> > Doesn't up2date and/or yum install directly from the repo though?  For
> > example, I want to install the latest version of MySQL.  So I can d/l
the
> > MySQL rpm from mysql.com, but need to use rpm -i to install it.  If I
try
> > use yum or up2date, it complains that it can't find the rpm in the
> > repository (which is natural, since it isn't there).
> >
> > Short of using rpm -i, is there anything else I can do to install the
pkg?
> > The problem with rpm -i is that if there are dependencies missing, then
> > am
> > forced to go find them myself...
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but you are expecting a dep solver to go,
> search the internet, find the mysql.com site, figure out what to download,
> and then install it?

Sorry - I must be the one that isn't being clear here.  Perhaps the mysql
example isnt' the best one to use since there are actually no dependencies,
but let's assume for a moment that they depend on some libc rpm pkg.

I know that the mysql rpm pkg isn't in the DAG repository, so I've gone to
the MySQL site and manually d/l'ed the rpm from there.  However now that I
have it on my system, I can only install it using rpm.  If I try to install
it using rpm -i, and there is a missing dependency, it will fail.  At this
point, I need to go find the missing dependency and install it manually and
then go back and install the MySQL rpm.

Although the above steps work fine, they can be a pain in the butt
sometimes.  What I am wondering is if I can use yum to install the manually
d/l'ed local version of mysql rpm and have yum search its repository for
missing dependencies.

>From my understanding of yum, if/when i use yum install, it will only
install the pkg from the repository - ie: d/l the requested pkg and its
dependencies from the repo.  Not use the local rpm file that I manually
d/l'ed earlier.

Am I making sense here, or am I asking for something too extreme?

Thanks!

Eric