[WBEL-users] Postfix or Sendmail

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:07:18 -0400

Karl-König Königsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On my first mail server I ran sendmail and that worked fine. On my
> server's second incarnation I decided on Postfix and that ran fine, too.
> I am now in the process of setting up the third version of my company's
> server and can not decide on which MTA to use.
>
> I have a couple of virtual domains; I use IMAP and POP currently and
> would like to use SSL for these at some stage. I do not use the mail
> server as outgoing SMTP but would possibly like to do so in the future,
> using some sort of authentication.
>
> So, as you can see I have a fairly basic setup with a few more advanced
> options on the wish list.
>
> Any feedback on the setup? Sendmail or Postfix? Pros and Cons?

Sendmail does what I want it to do, so I haven't found the urge to
change. The long term advantage is that sendmail is open source AND has
a commercial company behind it. Best of all possible worlds in terms of
support and development. Use what you find easiest to admin, and what
has best docs for the next admin. Is there a postfix book?

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)