[WBEL-users] Resetting hostname from command prompt

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:33:20 -0400

William Hooper wrote:
> Jeff Maze said:
>
>>Hello,
>>	I'm trying to reset the hostname for a WBEL maching.. I've edited the
>>/etc/
>>hosts file and /proc/sys/kernel/hostname file as well..  But after every
>>reboot, it goes back to the old hostname..
>>	What am I missing..?  Thanks.. -Jeff
>

> /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> You can use "redhat-config-network" to take care of it too.  It appears to
> have "this is unsupported" warnings on the text version, though, so a SSH
> X-tunnel might be the way to go.

I have always though redhat did the whole name thing wrong. There's a
reason why there is a hostname and domainname, and the full name should
be $(hostname).$(domainname) rather than leaving the domainname empty
and having to strip the domain off the hostname.

But if you do it that way all their scripts break, so you can't easily
get around the issue.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)