[WBEL-users] Postfix or Sendmail

Eric B. ebenze@hotmail.com
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:37:51 -0400

"Joe Brouhard" <jbrouhard@kcosc.com> wrote in message
news:2195.207.192.215.45.1081524165.squirrel@webmail.kcosc.com...
> > However, this opinion is over 6 years old.  I too and examining them
both
> > now as I need to install new servers and need to find something for
email.
> > From my understanding (although I haven't done a whole lot of research
> > recently), Sendmail has fixed all these security issues by making it
more
> > Postfix like and by running it as a non root process.  Someone can
correct
> > me if I am mistaken.  One of the things I like about Sendmail is that I
> > quickly found a patch to allow it to store it's email in a DB -
something
> > plan to do as I expect it to be easier to handle data replication and
> > clustering using MySQL clustering (being released April 14).  I haven't
> > found anything that will allow me to hook Postfix into a DB.
> >

> I recommend looking at http://www.high5.net/howto
>
> This provides a way of setting up 'virtual email hosting" servers with a
> Database thtat provides user login/password information that is passed
> back and forth between postfix, mysql, SASL, and Courier...

Thanks for the link.  I took a quick look at it, but it seems as though this
allows you only to store user information there.  The data store for the
email itself is still in the standard file system (in the /usr/local/virtual
directory).  I'm actually looking for a solution that will allow me to put
the data store for the email in the DB as well and not just in the file
system.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric