[WBEL-users] Postfix or Sendmail

Francisco A. Lozano fralolo@factoryw.com
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 15:28:53 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Brouhard" <jbrouhard@kcosc.com>
To: "Eric B." <ebenze@hotmail.com>
Cc: <whitebox-users@beau.org>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: [WBEL-users] Postfix or Sendmail

> > Thanks for the link.  I took a quick look at it, but it seems as though
> > this
> > allows you only to store user information there.  The data store for the
> > email itself is still in the standard file system (in the
> > /usr/local/virtual
> > directory).  I'm actually looking for a solution that will allow me to
put
> > the data store for the email in the DB as well and not just in the file
> > system.  Any suggestions?

Postfix has *MUCH* better support for using SQL lookup tables. Postfix,
however, isn't oriented at mailbox management, it's just an MTA. It has very
simple mailbox agents (virtual and local), which work quite well but you
can't expect much functionality on it.

If you want advanced mailboxes under a common filesystem while using
postfix, you can use Cyrus. Cyrus is quite big and complicated to use, but
it's *FAST*.

If you really want for any reason an SQL database as the storage media, you
can use dbmail (www.dbmail.org). It has had some problems in the past with
dates and other stuff but the devel crew it's very responsive with bugs and
solves them very quickly. It's under heavy development and all that I can
say is that is ******FAST********, WAY faster than Cyrus.It's quite
impressive to have a single folder with 50,000 msgs and have almost instant
access on it. By the way, Integration with postfix is very easy and
straightforward.