[WBEL-users] Postfix or Sendmail

Eric B. ebenze@hotmail.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:22:10 -0400

"Francisco A. Lozano" <fralolo@factoryw.com> wrote in message
news:001701c41eff$cb34b7a0$0603010a@tekila...

> If you want advanced mailboxes under a common filesystem while using
> postfix, you can use Cyrus. Cyrus is quite big and complicated to use, but
> it's *FAST*.
>
> If you really want for any reason an SQL database as the storage media,
you
> can use dbmail (www.dbmail.org). It has had some problems in the past with
> dates and other stuff but the devel crew it's very responsive with bugs
and
> solves them very quickly. It's under heavy development and all that I can
> say is that is ******FAST********, WAY faster than Cyrus.It's quite
> impressive to have a single folder with 50,000 msgs and have almost
instant
> access on it. By the way, Integration with postfix is very easy and
> straightforward.

Interesting.  I didn't realize you could integrate dbmail with postfix.  I
was under the impression that dbmail was an MTA as well.  From everything I
have read, however, there seems to be a lot of opinions suggesting that
using a DB as a backend for mail storage is a bad and dangerous idea.
Issues with DB locking, slowness of additional overhead, etc.    Given that
it has it's own dbmail-smtp daemon, why would you even use Postfix at that
point as an MTA?

I haven't looked into Cyrus at all yet.  Is that not just a POP/IMAP server?
Or is Cyrus an MTA as well?