[WBEL-users] Postfix or Sendmail

Francisco A. Lozano fralolo@factoryw.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:15:37 +0200

> Interesting.  I didn't realize you could integrate dbmail with postfix.  I
> was under the impression that dbmail was an MTA as well.  From everything
> have read, however, there seems to be a lot of opinions suggesting that
> using a DB as a backend for mail storage is a bad and dangerous idea.
> Issues with DB locking, slowness of additional overhead, etc.    Given
that
> it has it's own dbmail-smtp daemon, why would you even use Postfix at that
> point as an MTA?

Then obviously you haven't digged very much in www.dbmail.org or into
the README
and INSTALL files of the .tar.gz...

> I haven't looked into Cyrus at all yet.  Is that not just a POP/IMAP
server?
> Or is Cyrus an MTA as well?

Cyrus provides a network-enabled mailbox storage and management system, with
IMAP
and POP interfaces. Its has its own storage back'end based on the raw UNIX
filesystem with indexing additions, and has a complete management interface
for all that. It's a quite big beast, and isn't easy to manage and install.