[WBEL-users] RPM Gui?

Joe Klemmer klemmerj@webtrek.com
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:12:18 -0400

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 09:45, William Hooper wrote:

> >> Maybe I'm missing something, but you are expecting a dep solver to go,
> >> search the internet, find the mysql.com site, figure out what to
> >> download, and then install it?
> >
> > NetBSD pkgsrc does this automatically. Debian's package system does as
> > well.
>
> No they don't.  They get packages from package repositories, just like yum
> and up2date do.

	This is correct, for the most part.  Debian uses apt which is the
functional equivalent of yum (the only real difference is the language
they were developed in).  The BSD Ports system does actually go out on
the net and find the "home" site for apps but only if that's expressly
configured in the ports tree.  Thus if you use the Ports Makefile you
get the source from the origin.  I do not know if pkgsrc uses the Ports
tree, though.

--
Joe "Kuramarujo" Klemmer | Current rank: Maegashira 15
http://www.webtrek.com/~klemmerj/sumo.html