[WBEL-users] RPM Gui?

Joe Brouhard jbrouhard@kcosc.com
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:57:00 -0500 (CDT)

> 	This is correct, for the most part.  Debian uses apt which is the
> functional equivalent of yum (the only real difference is the language
> they were developed in).  The BSD Ports system does actually go out on
> the net and find the "home" site for apps but only if that's expressly
> configured in the ports tree.  Thus if you use the Ports Makefile you
> get the source from the origin.  I do not know if pkgsrc uses the Ports
> tree, though.

pkgsrc is used in FreeBSD (of which I have copies of running somewhere at
home and at other locations), and it *DOES* use the Ports tree.

It does not, however, go out and 'search' the internet for the packages in
question.  the ports 'Makefile' must STATE exactly where it can be found
(correct and absolute path, such as
http://www.whateverpackage.org/path/to/this/package.tar.gz).  Gentoo
Portage uses the same functions.

--