[WBEL-users] Re: RPM Gui?

Tony tony@instaview.com
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:39:58 -0500

If you are using true packages, yes they go to the official set of
repositories and collect all the other things you need.

However If you use the ports tree, which is the preferred way to
mantain a *BSD system, it also searches the *original* location
for the files, not just the 'official' repositories..  ( and again collecting
any dependencies along the way ).

Personally, i feel  its a MUCH more efficient and controllable system
then any of the current linux package managers has..

True, it takes some work on the ports maintainers to keep it all in order,
but for the rest of us, its just automagic as it 'just works' .

( though a nice pretty graphical front end for ports would be nice for
beginner admins.. there might be one, i just havent noticed it  )

And yes, things have improved *greatly* in the linux world, but it still
quickly becomes a nightmare if you deviate from your distributions
standards..  Once you deviate from what your distribution offers on the
CDs you get, it can get hairy..

just my 2 cents......