[WBEL-users] Re: RPM Gui?

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:17:27 -0400 (EDT)

Tony said:
> If you are using true packages, yes they go to the official set of
> repositories and collect all the other things you need.
>
> However If you use the ports tree, which is the preferred way to
> mantain a *BSD system, it also searches the *original* location
> for the files, not just the 'official' repositories..  ( and again
> collecting
> any dependencies along the way ).

Do they "search", or do they look at the location defined in the ports as
having the source?  The source defined by the official port
maintainer...no maintainer, no port.

> Personally, i feel  its a MUCH more efficient and controllable system
> then any of the current linux package managers has..

IIRC, the *BSD ports tree is just a bunch of Make files and patches, that
have been created by the port maintainer (sound familiar).  I don't see a
significant difference from using a SPEC file and patches from an RPM
package maintainer.

My understand of Gentoo is that it does things similar to the *BSD ports,
but again, it still requires someone to create the "package" before you
can compile and install it using the distro tools.

Having a large collection of software is different then going and grabbing
random tarballs from the Internet and automagically installing them.

--
William Hooper