[WBEL-users] Re: merging updated rpms into a installation tree

Keith Morse kgmorse@mpcu.com
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:49:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Kirby Bohling wrote:

> This is how you would do it via a RedHat.  WhiteBox 3.0 is similar
> to RHEL 3.0.  RHEL 3.0 is similar to RedHat 8/9 I believe.  So I'm
> going to guess that a bastardized solution would be using the
> procedure described below:
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/RedHat-CD-HOWTO/rpm-packages.html
>
> In section 3, there is a link to rhcd-sripts.tar.gz, which is a set
> of scripts that is supposed to do all the work for you.  I've never
> actually gotten it to work, but presumable it would have if I had
> given it more time.  The ISO's I built never would boot.  I never
> tried using it for an http based kickstart install.  It's a more
> full fledged description of what the whitebox site explains.

It's odd that the above never came up in my google searching.  Half the
battle is crafting the right question.

> > I do have a server with the install tree on it,  I have the updates
> > rsync'd from one of the mirrors.  Just went thru the
> > http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/howto.html on how to build iso's so I have
> > and idea on the anaconda side for updating the "configs" for an updated
> > tree.  But the merging the updated rpms into the Redhat/RPMS directory is
> > where I'm still doing some head scratching.
>
> I just have my kickstart post install script run YUM.  It's easier
> to deal with for me.  It takes a little longer, but it's less
> hassle, and is a known good process done by lots of people.

Huh, never considered that.  Would make the up front process much easier.
Thanks