[WBEL-users] merging updated rpms into a installation tree

Milan Ker¹lįger milan.kerslager@pslib.cz
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:22:58 +0200

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:04:10PM -0500, Kirby Bohling wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 04:32:18PM -0700, Keith Morse wrote:
> >
> > Been perusing the web for references and how-to's that will allow me to
> > accomplish the above for my local server which I plan to use for
> > kick-start service.  So far my investigation hasn't really been
> > successful.
>
> This is how you would do it via a RedHat.  WhiteBox 3.0 is similar
> to RHEL 3.0.  RHEL 3.0 is similar to RedHat 8/9 I believe.  So I'm
> going to guess that a bastardized solution would be using the
> procedure described below:

RHEL3 is something between RH 9 and Fedora Core 1. See Tao Linux site
for more details (http://taolinux.org). They done some compare work
already.

> > I do have a server with the install tree on it,  I have the updates
> > rsync'd from one of the mirrors.  Just went thru the
> > http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/howto.html on how to build iso's so I have
> > and idea on the anaconda side for updating the "configs" for an updated
> > tree.  But the merging the updated rpms into the Redhat/RPMS directory is
> > where I'm still doing some head scratching.

You have to replace old packages with updates. No duplicates. Then you
have to rebuild hdlist and recreate ISOs. Follow HOWTOs for Red Hat
Linux.

> I just have my kickstart post install script run YUM.  It's easier
> to deal with for me.  It takes a little longer, but it's less
> hassle, and is a known good process done by lots of people.

Yes, this is easiest way. This is possible to put /var/cache/yum and
/etc/yum.conf from another system too (to save bandwith). There are
already installed (upgraded) RPM packages too (except you did yum clean
before).

--
                        Milan Kerslager
                        E-mail: milan.kerslager@pslib.cz