[WBEL-users] kernel 2.6.5 on WB 3.0?

Seth Bardash seth@integratedsolutions.org
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:38:14 -0600

doesn't buy
> you all that much on small machines. It does scale well for the
huge
> ones, though.
>
> --
>     -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)

Any suggestions on the packages that need to be upgraded or added
to WB 3.0 to get it to support 2.6.5 would be helpful.

We are going to try to start where arjanv/2.6 has left off. Just
installing 2.6.5 source and doing the make's doesn't come close.
Way too many unresolved symbols and you need to install the
filesystem drivers in the kernel to get them to come up properly.

If there was something that did for error messages what rpm -q
does packages that would be a big help but its not that easy....

We have found that systems based on Fedora core 1 upgraded to the
2.6.5 kernel run the gigabit ethernet about 25 to 40 % faster than
the standard 2.4.XX kernel with no other changes. 33-40 MB/sec
versus 52 - 60 MB/sec - The only changes made were to install the
source for 2.6.5, compile and run the new kernel (greatly
sinplified of course). All hardware and BIOS setting were the
same. The numbers shown above were for nfs transfers of iso images
to and from our linux server.

If we could upgrade the WB 3.0 kernel to 2.6.5 with the correct
additional rpm packages to get it to work correctly we expect to
see a similar increase in net performance.

Something to work on in my spare time ;-)

Seth Bardash

Integrated Solutions and Systems
http://www.integratedsolutions.org

Supplier of AMD, Intel and SPARC Servers and Systems running
Windows, Linux, Solaris and VxWorks.

*Failure can not cope with perseverance*

---