[WBEL-users] Re: Installation

Keith Morse kgmorse@mpcu.com
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:23:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Tim Fountain wrote:

> I am new to White Box, and am migrating from W2K & XP.  I have successfully
> installed the desktop white box but when I go to use the system I am
> prompted by a user name and password.  I am not logging onto a network or
> workgroup.  This is a stand alone machine, but is connected to the internet.

Okay

>   The OS thinks the internet is my domain and wants me to log onto it.
> Aside from disconnecting the system from the internet, what other ways are
> there to avoid having to log into the Linux OS?  BTW this is a dual boot
> system so I hope the Windows sys is not messing everything up on my machine
> for linux.  Any help would be great.

The term "domain" can be somewhat nebulous and really depends on the
context of where it's located.  A MS-windows domain? NIS, DNS, Kerberos,
or many others I'm sure that I don't know about.  I can't tell from the
info you've provided.

AFAIK, there is no way to use linux or unix for that matter without
logging in as the os what designed to be multi-user capable.  The closest
way I can think of is to null the password for any particular user.  But
this would be extremely unwise for any network connected pc no matter the
os it's running.