[WBEL-users] Samba Issues

Scott Heisler scott.heisler@huntleighusa.com
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:57:25 -0500

I have a WBEL30 server in place.  It replaced dieing RH 8 server.  Anyway,
the here's the issue:

RH8 had Samba 2.x, WB has Samba 3.x
The server I replaced only serves one purpose, it hosts the files used (data
& program files shared) for the time clock software (used for payroll).  It
does not do anything other than this (no printing, ftp, etc).
On the old server (RH8) there were no issues or problems.
Now, on the WBEL, I have issues where the time clock software can't replace
files.  It can write new ones all day long but can't replace files while in
the software.  If I use MS Word, though, I can overwrite files all day long.
I can brose to the location and rename & delete files, without problem.
Why, just inside this application, does this occur.

As a further test, I copied the entire file set (3.6 gig) to a Windows 2000
server as a test.  The problem did not occur there, only on the WBEL
machine.  I went through all of the possible settings under Webmin and Swat
and couldn't find anything that should be a problem.  I also went through
the security from SSH and re-applied a 777 security setting to all files and
made sure Samba had full access as well.

While I know that this post could be for a samba mailgroup, they aren't that
familiar with WBEL so I thought I would start here.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.
Scott