Re[2]: [WBEL-users] WB crash and Dell OMSA

Mickael Maddison Mickael Maddison <mike@kamloopsbc.com>
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:52:36 -0700

Hello Scott,
I will concur - 3Ware has been a rock for me.  MegaRaid has been good too, but I did have a problem with a controller that kept 'failing' drives that were perfectly healthy.  It may have been fixed with the flash update though.

I have a couple machines that use the on-board promise in non-raid configs (SATA) and so far they are working fine under fairly heavy loads, but other than that, I've had terrible experiences with promise RAID and Linux.

Mike

Friday, April 23, 2004, 8:08:43 AM, you wrote:

SH> I too have had many issues with SCSI Adapters not being well supported under
SH> many Linux Distro's.  I've had very good luck with the MegaRaid adapter -
SH> have 6 production Dual-XEON servers running with that adapter (non-Dell).
SH> I've had great luck with most of the PERCs under WB Linux as well... even
SH> older servers like the Poweredge 6300 and 2400 units.  Depending on which
SH> MegaRaid card you have, most have at least 2 channels and many from Dell
SH> have 3 channels.  You may be best off to try an alternate channel on the
SH> same card.  As for your freeze up... it has been my general experience that
SH> an absolute FREEZE under Linux as well as Windows 2000/20003 (sorry but I
SH> think it's true) is usually caused by a hardware
SH> failure/driver/compatibility.

SH> On a side note, the Promise IDE RAID Controllers are a nightmare, especially
SH> the 4000 and SX 6000 lines.  The cards themselves crash under load.  The
SH> 3-Ware cards are MOST excellent and run great under load.  We swapped out 5
SH> 3-ware cards for 5 promises and each of the servers went from crashing 4-6
SH> times a month to 0 crashes since the switch.  Sometimes, the promise card
SH> would cause the Linux OS to just freeze, other times, it would provide
SH> erroring.

SH> Thanks

SH> Scott

>>> 2. try to install manufacturer driver for extra SCSI controller