[WBEL-users] More yum mirrors?

Ed ekg@tricity.wsu.edu
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:52:53 -0700

William Hooper wrote:
> Mark Reynolds said:
>

>>2. Remove any reference to actual beau.org sources, but include
>>   all latest mirror configs in yum source. Maybe even make
>>   those changes as a WBWL update, and push changes out that way.
>

> I don't disagree with you main point, but the only chance to make these
> changes will be with WBEL 3.1 (or update, whatever the respin is being
> called).  Even then it will only work for new installs.  Any changes (and
> I mean any) to the config file will make RPM leave it alone and create an
> *.rpmnew file.

I don't think this is correct.  I think if you upgrade the package and
change the config file, RPM will use the new one instead.  (Or is there
a complication I am ignoring here?)

RPM should upgrade the file and leave the old one is .rpmsave, (unless
the "new" version of the package containing the yum config file and the
"old" version, have the same config file -- obviously this is not the
case).

This is from maximum RPM, page ch-rpm-upgrade.html:

<quote>

[...]
Original file = X, Current file = X, New file = Y

  The original file has not been modified, but the file in the new
package is different. Perhaps the difference represents a bug-fix, or a
new feature. It makes no difference to RPM.

In this case, RPM installs the new file, overwriting the original. This
makes sense. If it didn't, RPM would never permit newer, modified
versions of software to be installed! The original file is not saved,
since it had not been changed. A lack of changes here means that no
site-specific modifications were made to the file.

[...]

Original file = X, Current file = Y, New file = Z

  Here the original file was modified at some point. The new file is
different from both the original and the modified versions of the
original file.

RPM is not able to analyze the contents of the files, and determine what
is going on. In this instance, it takes the best possible approach. The
new file is known to work properly with the rest of the software in the
new package — at least the people building the new package should have
insured that it does. The modified original file is an unknown: it might
work with the new package, it might not. So RPM installs the new file.

BUT… The existing file was definitely modified. Someone made an effort
to change the file, for some reason. Perhaps the information contained
in the file is still of use. Therefore, RPM saves the modified file,
naming it <file>.rpmsave, and prints a warning, so the user knows what
happened:

</quote>

   Ed