[WBEL-users] WBEL n_hdlc config query

neil neilcuk@aol.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:01:38 +0100

--------------020009020604010209090203

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 05:12, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 29 April 2004 11:52, neil wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> I've just got round to installing WBEL (a much welcomed distro). I
>>> intend on trying it out as a replacement for my home gateway. I'm using
>>> an Alcatel USB ADSL modem which requires N_HDLC support which isn't
>>> compiled in as a module to the default WBEL(RHEL) kernel.
>>>
>>> Ideally I want to avoid installing the sources and associated compiler
>>> to keep things to a minimum. Obviously I haven't messed about much yet
>>> (not enough hours in the day!) but I just wanted to know if anyone else
>>> has a requirement for n_hdlc and got things working. Maybe I missed
>>> something? I'm assuming I will have to recompile the kernel. Any
>>> thoughts?
>>
>>It's in the kernel-unsupported package, which contains modules which are not
>>supported under the RHEL support contract. Since Whitebox mimics RHEL here
>>it's also in the unsupported RPM.
>>So a 'yum install kernel-unsupported' should do it (if you have an SMP
>>system it's kernel-smp-unsupported)
>>

> After installing kernel-unsupported, you need to rebuild the initrd
> image (per the RHEL release notes) with this command:
>
> /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod --install <kernel-version>
>
> see these references:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2003-November/msg00185.html
>
> https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/release-notes/as-x86/
> (read the Kernel Notes section)
>
> - Johnny Hughes

Thanks so much guys - I would have been searching for ages. That's
resolved my little issue - now, if someone could just figure out how to
get another 5 hours of play time during the day.... :-)

neil
P.S. many, many thanks to the whitebox distro maintainers. Great job!

--------------020009020604010209090203

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>