[WBEL-users] WBEL n_hdlc config query

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:37:53 -0500

--=-+dHcJM47Yok5iWaGRFrd

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 05:12, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:

> On Thursday 29 April 2004 11:52, neil wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I've just got round to installing WBEL (a much welcomed distro). I
> > intend on trying it out as a replacement for my home gateway. I'm using
> > an Alcatel USB ADSL modem which requires N_HDLC support which isn't
> > compiled in as a module to the default WBEL(RHEL) kernel.
> >
> > Ideally I want to avoid installing the sources and associated compiler
> > to keep things to a minimum. Obviously I haven't messed about much yet
> > (not enough hours in the day!) but I just wanted to know if anyone else
> > has a requirement for n_hdlc and got things working. Maybe I missed
> > something? I'm assuming I will have to recompile the kernel. Any
> > thoughts?
>
> It's in the kernel-unsupported package, which contains modules which are not
> supported under the RHEL support contract. Since Whitebox mimics RHEL here
> it's also in the unsupported RPM.
> So a 'yum install kernel-unsupported' should do it (if you have an SMP
> system it's kernel-smp-unsupported)

After installing kernel-unsupported, you need to rebuild the initrd
image (per the RHEL release notes) with this command:

/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod --install <kernel-version>

see these references:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2003-November/msg00185.html

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/release-notes/as-x86/
(read the Kernel Notes section)