[WBEL-users] Block IP Address

neil neilcuk@aol.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:50:25 +0100

rs@swift-technologies.net wrote:

>Just wondering what would be the most efficient way to block an IP
>address. I'm using Apache and I have a vsFTPd running.  I'd like to block
>any attempts from a specific ip address and I wasn't sure if iptables
>would block for all down the chain.

That all depends where the traffic is going :-) If you just want to
block addresses coming in to your hosting box (not acting as a router)
then you just need to add a statement to your INPUT chain. Without
knowing your configuration, a quick insert would do the trick  "iptables
-I INPUT -s <ipaddress to block> -j DROP" There are a  few different
ways to achieve this - this being a very simple example (but it should
do the trick).

neil