[WBEL-users] Wireless LAN Woes - SOLVED

Daniel J. Summers danieljs@knology.net
Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:40:50 -0500

Just thought I would update the list now that I've found a solution to
using my iBlitzz NetWave PCI wireless network card.  (It's running right
now on FC2, but it went so seamlessly that I can't imagine it would be
that different under WBEL...)

My solution is to use a currently beta open-source product called
"ndiswrapper".  The site is located at
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net .  It's basic premise is to take the
Windows drivers that most all companies distribute with their network
cards, and utilize them, "wrapping" the low-level calls with
Linux-compatible ones.  They have RPMs available for RHEL 3 (which I
imagine would work with WBEL), and I used the source tarball and
compiled and installed myself.

The only thing that the install didn't say is that once you get the
module loaded, recognized, and written to the automatic probe file, you
need to restart before wlan0 would show up so you could create an actual
connection with it.  This product seems like it would work with almost
any card (the principle would be the same), and is a great way to use
network cards that aren't on the HCL.

--
*Daniel J. Summers*
E-mail - 	danieljs@knology.net <mailto:danieljs@knology.net>