[WBEL-users] Software raid and User Mode Linux CD burning on WBEL

Alex Georgiev ageorgiev@eurorisksystems.com
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:38:17 +0300

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Two comments on that, (1) I have never header of anyone doing that, and
> (2) I wouldn't bet that hardware issues wouldn't take down the real
> kernel anyway. The issues I've seen are caused by things like starting a
> burn with no CD, data overrun, mounting CD for read while burning. To
> some extent that can be cured by better practices. Do let us know if UML
> cures the problem, I'm looking at UML for a server farm, so I can move
> to a real machine as load grows.

Whel, always the ide_scsi module crashes the kernel. The way I see it,.
in an idealized situation, a driver, should not crash if there is no media in the drive, or
if media is crappy ... etc, a programm should not crash because of its input.
As I know the UML kernel is just another process in the host operating system,
therefore I hope, a kernel panic should just halt this process. I am qurious to
see that.

> In general it's not an issue, if you have bad media, scrap it! I'm up
> around 100 burns without an issue, and uptime in the three digits since
> an unplanned reboot.
>

> RAID-1, and I suggest using Promise, which is also cheap and should
> work. Overhead should be low, even with a small system I see virtually
> no CPU used unless it's doing rebuild or similar. Put the drives on
> separate cables (you knew that).

Could you tell me the exact Promise controller that you are using?
I shall buy this one.

Best regards
ageorgiev