[WBEL-users] apt

Craig White craigwhite@azapple.com
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:52:07 -0700

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 10:34, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 23:17 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > I am confused and not sure if I shouldn't just give up on apt.
> >
> > I downloaded and installed dag's apt for RHEL 3.
> >
> > apt-get update seemed to be OK
> >
> > but things like:
> > # apt-get install ldap-account-manager
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> >   PyQt: Depends: libsip.so.9 but it is not installable
> > installed
> > E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> > specify a solution).
> >
> > have me scared to go on any further. Should I give up on apt?
> >
> > BTW...this was upgraded from RH 8.0 (upgradeany) - this may have had
> > some impact on this and I recognize that I can remove old xmms.
>
> You probably have packages that were not upgraded due to having versions
> later than the WBEL packages, or lacking equivalents in WBEL.  Have you
> tried "yum upgrade"?
>
> Run the following one-liner:
>
> rpm -qa --qf "%{INSTALLTIME} %{NAME} %{VERSION} %{RELEASE}\n" | sort -r >RPMS_by_Install_Time
>
> Check for anything in the output file after "basesystem".  These are
> obsolete packages left from before the upgrade.  Blow them away
> (suggest using "yum remove <package>" or "apt-get remove <package>" to
> handle dependencies) and/or upgrade with WBEL-compatible packages.
----
absolutely spot on reply - I did as you suggested and it reminded me of
packages that I had installed that weren't part of RH 8.0 distro and
though I thought I removed them all, clearly there were some that I had
forgotten about (gxine, nmap, ncftp are obvious, things like MailScanner
and spamassassin will be a bit of trouble, but there are some things
that clearly worry me such as 1091336198 filesystem 2.2.1 3, 1053628539
zlib-devel 1.1.4 8.8x, 1053628538 zlib 1.1.4 8.8x)

I guess that what I want to know more than anything is the overall
philosophy here - do I use yum to update the core and apt-get to get the
'extras' from dag? (I'm thinking spamassassin and other server
stuff...the workstation stuff isn't necessary). In other words, is it
worth the battle I am going to face? Is there a payoff?

Craig