[WBEL-users] apt

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:34:24 -0400

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 23:17 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> I am confused and not sure if I shouldn't just give up on apt.
>
> I downloaded and installed dag's apt for RHEL 3.
>
> apt-get update seemed to be OK
>
> but things like:
> # apt-get install ldap-account-manager
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>   PyQt: Depends: libsip.so.9 but it is not installable
> installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).
>
> have me scared to go on any further. Should I give up on apt?
>
> BTW...this was upgraded from RH 8.0 (upgradeany) - this may have had
> some impact on this and I recognize that I can remove old xmms.

You probably have packages that were not upgraded due to having versions
later than the WBEL packages, or lacking equivalents in WBEL.  Have you
tried "yum upgrade"?

Run the following one-liner:

rpm -qa --qf "%{INSTALLTIME} %{NAME} %{VERSION} %{RELEASE}\n" | sort -r >RPMS_by_Install_Time

Check for anything in the output file after "basesystem".  These are
obsolete packages left from before the upgrade.  Blow them away
(suggest using "yum remove <package>" or "apt-get remove <package>" to
handle dependencies) and/or upgrade with WBEL-compatible packages.