[WBEL-users] SAMBA

Craig White craigwhite@azapple.com
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:03:04 -0700

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 20:42, Ganeshram Iyer wrote:
> Hey Johnny,
> I tried out the solution that you suggested and this is my current
> status. I think I am having a basic problem with the user root not being
> a local administrator on the domain member Windows PC. So I am unable to
> unzip anything in the Windows System Folder on that account. Is this
> expected behavior or did I do something wrong? That problem apart I
> created the Debugger Users (for Microsoft's Visual Studio.NET) group in
> the WBEL Samba machine and tried to add global group to the local group.
> But when I do that I am unable to specify that group to be added. It
> comes up as not found in my Windows XP Pro. I just cannot add the global
> Debugger Users group that I have created. As an alternate I tried to add
> the Linux/Samba Users group to my local group and I could not add that
> group also. Do I need to log in as global root or as local
> administrator? I really appreciate your help and any advice that you
> have will be most welcome.

----
I am gathering that you are using samba server as PDC. I haven't a clue
what you are using for passdb. Normal configuration would have you
creating a user named Administrator. I am also assuming that you have
set unix sync = yes

smbpasswd -a Administrator #adds user Administrator
smbpasswd Administrator #sets password for user Administrator
edit /etc/samba/smbusers to look have a line like
root = Administrator #you can have more users if you like

Then the user Administrator should have root equivalent.

Log on to Windows machine as Administrator, password, domain_name

This should give you full Administrator privileges to the machine.

Start -> Settings -> Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
Management

Groups, edit the Administrators Group (or better yet, Power Users),
Click Add, Click Advanced, Click 'Find Now' You should be able to locate
any of the 'Domain Groups' you have created.

If you don't have domain groups, you will need to create them.
>From command line on Linux, type 'net groupmap list' this will show you
the domain groups.

For Samba documentation, see www.samba.org - click on the documentation
link, see the Samba 3 How-To