[WBEL-users] Logout Icon

Ed ekg@tricity.wsu.edu
Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:26:30 -0700

Denis Croombs wrote:
>>Ok, you say you've removed everything from the desktop.  Are you limiting
>>them to one application?  What are they allowed to do?  The reason I'm
>>asking is if you want them to use only one app, like a web browser, it's
>>easy to set up to where when they close the web browser, it exits their X
>>session, and goes back to the X login prompt.  I have a bunch of
>>Linux-based Citrix terminals set up this way.  If you allow them to use
>>several apps, it get slightly more complicated.  KDE and Gnome do it
>>differently, so it will be helpful to know which you are using.
>>

> Hi
> Thanks for that.
> We have 28 terminals which we will be using 1 app (Web browser only) & up to
> 80 which will use approx 5 apps (KDE or Gnome we would prefer KDE but can
> use either) (all 108 thin (VNC clients))
> BUT the users MUST only see the apps we want and a Logout button.
>
> We are willing to look at any method that provides the end result, any clues
> VERY welcome.

If you're using kde then you might try looking at the dcop function
under ksmserver -> ksmserver -> logout(int,int,int).  Hint: the first
argument is zero for no confirmation and nonzero for confirmation.  The
second argument is 0 = logout 1 = reboot and 2 = shutdown.  No one has a
clue what the third argument is for.

So 'dcop ksmserver ksmserver 1 0 0' does what I think the logout button
does.

   Ed