[WBEL-users] Software raid and User Mode Linux CD burning on WBEL

Alex Tkachenko alex@ingrian.com
Tue, 03 Aug 2004 16:14:10 -0700

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 12:46, Kirby Bohling wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 03:00:02PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Shackmaster wrote:
> > >I'd be curious to hear about anyone's experience with software RAID on a
> > >heavily load NAS server? I have been considering the deployment of a 6TB
> > >system, with dual opterons, runing a software based RAID 6. (WBEL of
> > >course.)
> > >
> > >Can anyone speak problems with this setup? Alternatives?
> >
> > Did RH really put RAID-6 in? My only argument with any software RAID is
> > that it depends on the BIOS being able to load some things before the
> > kernel runs, and if a drive fails that may not happen. My only
> > justification for using cruddy systemboard RAID in mirror mode just to
> > boot, nothing more.
>
> Huh? Grub groks mirrors if you tell it to.  I've got my boot disk on
> a mirror.  If it crashes, can be sorta painful that I have to go
> fiddle with the BIOS to ignore the first drive.
How did you manage to make grub to update the second drive's boot
sector? AFAIK, it does not do this automatically, you have to take extra
steps to make it happen. Lilo did that.

Needless to say, you need to update your second drive's MBR *before*
your first one dies - I actually got caught by this problem :)

Alex