[WBEL-users] Software raid and User Mode Linux CD burning on WBEL

Joe Pruett joey@clean.q7.com
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:13:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Alex Tkachenko wrote:

> > Huh? Grub groks mirrors if you tell it to.  I've got my boot disk on
> > a mirror.  If it crashes, can be sorta painful that I have to go
> > fiddle with the BIOS to ignore the first drive.
> How did you manage to make grub to update the second drive's boot
> sector? AFAIK, it does not do this automatically, you have to take extra
> steps to make it happen. Lilo did that.
>
> Needless to say, you need to update your second drive's MBR *before*
> your first one dies - I actually got caught by this problem :)

grub>device (hd0) /dev/hdc
grub>root (hd0,0)
grub>setup (hd0)

that puts a grub boot block onto hdc telling grub to treat that disk as
hd0.  you only need to do this once, not every time you update grub.conf.

google for: software raid grub how-to

and you should come up with more info.