[WBEL-users] Re: Trying to Compile Driver for ITE8212 for Liberation Respin 1

Michael Brennen michael@fishnet.us
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:55:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Kelvin Param wrote:

> Thank you for responding to my question about the ITE8212 raid
> interface. I have a few follow up questions.
>
> a) would you please point me to where I can learn more about compiling a
> versionless driver?

I'm no expert, but after nearly 30 years around this stuff this is
what I figured out after poking around the source.  Others may have
more sound counsel.  Modify the src/2.4.x/Makefile and remove
'-DMODVERSIONS' and '-include $(SRCPATH)/include/linux/modversions.h'.
You may need to modify the 'BOOTOBJS = iteraid.bot' compilation
block also.

iteraid.o:iteraid.c iteraid.h
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(shell if uname -r | grep '2.2.' >
/dev/null 2>&1; then echo "-DMODVERSIONS"; fi) -I. -I$(SRCPATH)/drivers/scsi
-I$(SRCPATH)/include -include $(SRCPATH)/include/linux/modversions.h -c -o iteraid.o iteraid.c

> b) Is the extraversion for the regular kernel of WBEL 3 Liberation Respin 1
> '-15.EL'?

Yes.  'cat /proc/version' will show you what is booted.

> c) Where do I find the extraversion of the BOOT kernel of WBEL 3 Liberation
> Respin 1?
> d) What is the extraversion for of the BOOT kernel of WBEL 3 Liberation
> Respin 1?

These I don't remember exactly; it has been a couple of months since
I did the installation.  With a versionless module I avoided caring. :-|

> Finally do you know a good forum for driver questions on RHEL 3.
> We are trying to get RHEL 3 Update 2 for x86_64 working on a
> Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro mobo, Athlon64 3200+ with the 3ware 9500S-4LP
> SATA RAID card. Unfortunately, the boot sequence grinds to a halt
> when it discovers no IDE harddrives (hda, hdb), and this before I
> get the opportunity to use the driver diskette for the 9500S. We
> have the 9.0.2 driver (for x86_64) which 3ware claims is
> compatible with RHEL 3 update 2.

The driver diskettes are loaded very early in the boot process if
you choose expert mode, so I don't know why you haven't been able to
use the 9500S driver diskette.

It may be easiest to install the system onto a scratch 4+GB standard
IDE drive and just get the thing to boot.  Once you do that you can
play with loading the supplied drivers or recompiling as needed, all
under the native OS.  That way you avoid version conflicts.

A useful little install script is below to copy the compiled module
to the correct /lib/modules kernel directory.  It goes into the
driver source directory.

==================
#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
        echo "usage: install kernel_version (e.g.
2.4.25)"
        exit
fi
rm -f iteraid.o
make
cp iteraid.o /lib/modules/${1}/kernel/drivers/scsi

   -- Michael