[WBEL-users] problem with grub and recent kernel

Jeff Forbes jgf@celticclans.com
Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:20:52 -0400

Hi All,

I am having a very odd problem.
I just rebooted an AMD machine which just had the
kernel automatically upgraded to 2.4.21-15.0.3-EL
The reboot failed with the consol displaying the Grub prompt.
Using the cat command to display the config files yield a screen
full of question marks.

I was able to get it to boot an earlier version of the kernel by editing the
the config file after booting with a rescue disk. When I rebooted to the
kernel menu
and selected, an error indicating an incorrect executable file format was
printed.
If remember correctly, error 13 was printed. I was still able to reboot to
the older version.

I then tried the lasted kernel 2.4.21-15.0.4-EL with the same results.

I also determined that whenever the grub config file was edited under the
kernels on the harddrive,
grub was unable to read it. I would then have to read the file under the
rescue disk and then grub could
read it.

I am stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jeff Forbes