[WBEL-users] Workstations pausing

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 05:39:34 -0500

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 17:37, jafar wrote:
> All this talk of reiserfs corruption is worrying me. My /home partition
> has been on reiserfs for about 2 years now and luckily, there hasn't
> been a problem with it.
> Can I safely convert it to an ext3 partition?

I have never converted from reiserfs to ext3, so I don't know if you
can.

One thing I want to say is that I have been using reiserfs on several
OSes with only one problem for at least 2 years.  I don't think you need
to convert.  I have also had one major problem with ext3 during the same
time frame (although I use more ext3 partitions).

As far as WBEL is concerned, I would not recommend using reiserfs
there.  RedHat has said that reiserfs is not stable ENOUGH for their
enterprise product, and that the publisher updates the FS with features
(that are not verified to be stable ENOUGH) faster than they are
comfortable with.

I would not go as far as RedHat, I personally think reiserfs is stable,
but I would also not use the reiserFS on WBEL or RHEL since they
recommend it not be used.

Johnny Hughes
HughesJR.com