[WBEL-users] Workstations pausing

Ed ekg@tricity.wsu.edu
Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:21:21 -0700

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 17:37, jafar wrote:
>
>>All this talk of reiserfs corruption is worrying me. My /home partition
>>has been on reiserfs for about 2 years now and luckily, there hasn't
>>been a problem with it.
>>Can I safely convert it to an ext3 partition?
>

> I have never converted from reiserfs to ext3, so I don't know if you
> can.

The only way to convert a partition from reiser to ext3 is to back it
up, reformat, and copy back.  Or to copy all the files (use cp -a) to a
new ext3 partition.  But if you're changing partition types you want a
backup anyway.

> One thing I want to say is that I have been using reiserfs on several
> OSes with only one problem for at least 2 years.  I don't think you need
> to convert.  I have also had one major problem with ext3 during the same
> time frame (although I use more ext3 partitions).
>
> As far as WBEL is concerned, I would not recommend using reiserfs
> there.  RedHat has said that reiserfs is not stable ENOUGH for their
> enterprise product, and that the publisher updates the FS with features
> (that are not verified to be stable ENOUGH) faster than they are
> comfortable with.

Yeah, that's redhat's opinion.  However, I can respect it because ext3
is an ultraconservative design which corrupts very rarely.  Reiser is
more experimental, and while it's faster and sexier, it's more
compilcated and can break if you patch the kernel as much as redhat does.

I use reiser all the time on debian and kernel.org kernels.  And SuSE
uses it by default as well.  I think some of redhat's opinion of
reiserfs/ext3 is so that they can support business customers easier,
since ext3 is always an adequate and safe choice for a file system.  And
its the one that redhat does all their testing on.

> I would not go as far as RedHat, I personally think reiserfs is stable,
> but I would also not use the reiserFS on WBEL or RHEL since they
> recommend it not be used.

Yes, if you're using redhat's kernel on RHEL/WBEL, you definately want
to use ext3 if possible.  If you compile your own kernel.org kernel, you
can use whatever you want -- all of linux's journaling filesystems are
really great.

   Ed