[WBEL-users] apt

Craig White craigwhite@azapple.com
Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:21:23 -0700

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 10:34, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> You probably have packages that were not upgraded due to having versions
> later than the WBEL packages, or lacking equivalents in WBEL.  Have you
> tried "yum upgrade"?
>
> Run the following one-liner:
>
> rpm -qa --qf "%{INSTALLTIME} %{NAME} %{VERSION} %{RELEASE}\n" | sort -r >RPMS_by_Install_Time
>
> Check for anything in the output file after "basesystem".  These are
> obsolete packages left from before the upgrade.  Blow them away
> (suggest using "yum remove <package>" or "apt-get remove <package>" to
> handle dependencies) and/or upgrade with WBEL-compatible packages.
----
OK, it wasn't that hard to clean things up, thankfully I had the luxury
of taking my time. Your explanation was incredibly effective.

Upon installing yum and editing yum.conf to accommodate dag's
repository, I had to make the following change...

from
#baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el3/en/$basearch/dag

because releasever seems to be 3.0 and not simply 3 and it didn't work.

Not that the above is overly significant, but I thought I would pass
that info on if nothing else, for the archives.

What I am wondering however, was the notion that I should be using
'up2date -i package' and the like - does my configuration of yum.conf
automatically add the dag repositories or do I have to change
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources too?

Craig