[WBEL-users] apt

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 11:38:59 -0400 (EDT)

Craig White said:
[snip]
> Upon installing yum and editing yum.conf to accommodate dag's
> repository, I had to make the following change...
>
> from #baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
> to baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el3/en/$basearch/dag
>

> because releasever seems to be 3.0 and not simply 3 and it didn't work.
>
> Not that the above is overly significant, but I thought I would pass
> that info on if nothing else, for the archives.

I thought I saw Dag say he was going to make a note of this, but I don't see it in his FAQ.

> What I am wondering however, was the notion that I should be using
> 'up2date -i package' and the like - does my configuration of yum.conf
> automatically add the dag repositories or do I have to change
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources too?

yum and up2date are two completely seperate programs (that just happen to be able to both use yum repos).  The configuration is completely seperate.  Any repo you want up2date to use needs to be in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.

If both are configured for the same repo, "up2date -i package" and "yum install package" are interchangable.

Personally, I leave up2date to point to the "official" packages (actually my local mirror of them), and have yum point to both the "official" packages and DAG.  I prefer yum's ability to use "exclude" in the config file (so DAG doesn't override WBEL packages) and not have to do it in a GUI.

--
William Hooper