[WBEL-users] apt

Edward Rudd eddie@omegaware.com
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:54:48 -0500

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 01:17, Craig White wrote:
> I am confused and not sure if I shouldn't just give up on apt.
>
> I downloaded and installed dag's apt for RHEL 3.
>
> apt-get update seemed to be OK
>
> have me scared to go on any further. Should I give up on apt?

The issue with running apt on WBEL is there are no public APT
repositories for the core OS. only dag's updates.  I have a private apt
repo for my servers that I maintain.. and I posted info to this as to
how to create an apt repository for WBEL.   So unfortunately unless you
have to use yum Dag does provide yum support on his repo), until the
main whiteboxlinux.org server provides apt support on the archive, or
others provide an apt repo of the core wbel OS.

Personally I prefer apt over yum, as yum runs rather slow on my systems
and has many issues with dependency resolving.. As I did an update on
one server and it wanted to install a great many packages that it did
not need.

You can also configure dag's apt source in the up2date source file
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and then use up2date to update/install
software..
# up2date -i somenewpackagenametoinstall