[WBEL-users] Re: Athlon64 AMD64 motherboard recommendation

Bob Ramstad rramstad@alum.mit.edu
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:09:32 -0700

Connie wrote:

> The VIA chipset motherboards seem to be alot better.  The Gigabyte VIA
> based motherboard does not seem to have any driver issues.  Have not tried
> sound though.

Bingo, exactly the kind of information I was looking for.  Oddly, I
can't find a Gigabyte VIA based motherboard for socket 939.  Were you
referring to a different socket style?  Do you have a model number?

Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 is the only Gigabyte socket 939 I can find, and
it is nForce3.

I have no real preference for VIA vs nForce3.

I really could care less about sound, integrated video, firewire, or
USB working, as long as the system is stable.

I need working Ethernet and would prefer not to have to buy and
configure an additional card.  Ditto for video.

I suppose with any of these, I can likely disable everything in the
BIOS, toss a $10 NIC and a $30 video card in there, and call it
good... but some of them do have odd IDE chipsets especially if they
are SATA, and so I really would like to hear from folks who have any
AMD64 motherboard working with White Box Linux and can share a model
number and any war stories they might have as to initial
configuration...

-- Bob