[WBEL-users] Re: Athlon64 AMD64 motherboard recommendation

Connie Sieh csieh@fnal.gov
Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:43:39 -0500 (CDT)

--Boundary_(ID_ggQq36onukhBW+3o5Tttuw)

Bob,

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Bob Ramstad wrote:

> Connie wrote:
>
> > The VIA chipset motherboards seem to be alot better.  The Gigabyte VIA
> > based motherboard does not seem to have any driver issues.  Have not tried
> > sound though.
>
> Bingo, exactly the kind of information I was looking for.  Oddly, I
> can't find a Gigabyte VIA based motherboard for socket 939.  Were you
> referring to a different socket style?  Do you have a model number?

Gigabyte GA-K8VT800

I have included the output of lspci for the above board as a attachment.
No added drivers.  Out of the box Enterprise 3 rebuild.

As I mentioned at the beginning of my response I was referring to 754
based motherboards as I could not wait the month needed to get a 939 based
board.  I got these at the beginning of June and the 939 based boards were
not very available then.

> Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 is the only Gigabyte socket 939 I can find, and
> it is nForce3.
>
> I have no real preference for VIA vs nForce3.

I have to say that Whitebox will work better with the VIA.

> I really could care less about sound, integrated video, firewire, or
> USB working, as long as the system is stable.
>
> I need working Ethernet and would prefer not to have to buy and
> configure an additional card.  Ditto for video.
>
> I suppose with any of these, I can likely disable everything in the
> BIOS, toss a $10 NIC and a $30 video card in there, and call it
> good... but some of them do have odd IDE chipsets especially if they

The IDE itself works ok on the nforce3 after disabling APIC and ACPI.  I
do have to say that the IDE subsystem seems faster on the nforce3 system
vs the VIA.  No benchmarks just the standard response from commands.

> are SATA, and so I really would like to hear from folks who have any
> AMD64 motherboard working with White Box Linux and can share a model
> number and any war stories they might have as to initial
> configuration...

SOYO SY-CK8 Dragon  nforce3 150 .

> -- Bob

-Connie Sieh
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory

--Boundary_(ID_ggQq36onukhBW+3o5Tttuw)

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8385 [K8T800 AGP] Host Bridge (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800 South]
00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [K8T800 South]
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
00:13.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 NorthBridge
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 NorthBridge
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 NorthBridge
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 NorthBridge
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 If [Radeon 9000] (rev 01)

--Boundary_(ID_ggQq36onukhBW+3o5Tttuw)--