[WBEL-users] Workstations pausing

James Knowles jamesk@ifm-services.com
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:21:47 -0600

> It's partly that I have an unusual event happening with the new server,

You can put money on the filesystem not being the problem for the
symptoms you described. Personally I'd focus on other avenues first.

> I've read that reiserfs is better/faster for the types of files we use.

Theory and practice are two separate issues, and benchmarks are to be
read with a bucket of salt -- they don't (and can't) take everything
into consideration. For example, on file servers the network will
typically bottleneck long before the filesystem.

You'd have to benchmark from your own clients to determine whether there
is any significant impact between filesystems. Most dramatic performance
jumps that I've seen revolve around swapping out the 100Mb/s NICs and
switches for 1Gb/S versions. Theoretically at 100Mb/S you could push up
to 12.5MB/S across the wire, summed across all clients. That's not very
fast. A typical soft RAID system should have no problem saturating that
assuming large file transfers.