[WBEL-users] Workstations pausing

Ed ekg@tricity.wsu.edu
Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:27:34 -0700

James Knowles wrote:

>>> I've read that reiserfs is better/faster for the types of files we use.
>>

> The other thing that I aught to point out, where you're using this
> within a business environment, is that you want *data protection* more
> than raw speed, unless losing data won't affect your business
> whatsoever. ext3 is more robust this way with the default setting.
> There's even one level of higher data protection from the default.

This is good advice.  What is the sound of one hand clapping?  Is it not
a computer system which has no data?

> I also hope that the filesystem is at least on soft RAID-1.

(OT: If you're using raid 5 with ext3, check out the software raid howto
and benchmark your application with different stripe sizes.)

> Even if the machine's on a UPS, a power outage is likely the only time
> you'll discover that the UPS battery is dead. :-(

RAID is excellent insurance against disk failures, but if the power
fails it's possible to get file corruption even with RAID and a
journalling filesystem.  Make Back ups!  (Our site loses power about
once a month.)