[WBEL-users] Tivoli tsm client crash

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs@uni-konstanz.de
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:59:03 +0200

Jana Persson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anybody here had any experience using a TSM-client (Tivoli Storage
> Manager) on their system?
>
> I have two "identical" WBEL-boxes setup here (both HP Proliant DL320).
> They're setup to be backup for each other. I'm using rsync to keep the
> data in sync between the machines, and have scripted automatic fallback
> routines in case one of the boxes hits the dirt. I was also meaning to
> implement backup facilities (from one of the boxes at a time, since
> they're mirrored) to our enterprise class storage system, which happens
> to be Tivoli. This is not a choice by me, but company policy.
>
> All the same, installation and configuration of the client is no big
> deal. I did this before on the previous system, which was RedHat
> 7.1-based, so basically all I had to do was to move the configuration
> files over to the new system(s). According to all available
> documentation, this should be fine.
>
> The problem I have is that the client segfaults (signal 11) once I start
> the process of backing up data. I can start the detached process which
> talks to the storage manager (tsm for short), and my machine is put on
> scedule just fine. But as soon as it tries to do any actual file
> processing, the tsm-client crashes.
>
> I've tried it on both boxes with identical results. I've also tried
> different versions of the tsm-client (in fact 14 different versions),
> and they all behave the same.
>
> My hunch is that somehow the runtime environment does not equate to what
> the tsm-client expects (no shit, Sherlock ;-). After som digging I came
> up with some indications that the failing directive is a free(). That
> would perhaps point to something in glibc or some compatibility add-on.
>
> These clients are not open-source. They're binary distributed, and so
> digging much deeper than this would be beyond my powers.
>
> I would be curious to know whether anyone has had any success with tsm,
> using either WBEL, RHEL or any of the other corresponding distros, like
> Fermi or Tao.
>
> Regards,
> Jana Persson

Jana,

I use TSM-client (TIVsm-API,TIVsm-API.msg.de_DE,TIVsm-BA, TIVsm-BA.msg.de_DE  )
version 5.2.2 (installed from RPMs) on two WBEL boxes without any problems. Had
to install one additional WBEL RPM (I think it was libstdc++-3.2.3-39 but I'm
not sure) because the Tivoli packages required it, and had to open a port
controlled by iptables, like
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s <Tivoli-server>   -p tcp -m tcp --dport <Tivoli-port>
-j ACCEPT

Kay