[WBEL-users] Kerberos RPM's of 1.3.1 or later

Craig White craigwhite@azapple.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:21:20 -0700

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 08:16, Denis Croombs wrote:
> Anyone know where I can get Kerberos RPM's of 1.3.1 or later for whitebox ?
> (I have tried Google) and can only find the 1.3.4 for FC and these are
> giving me MAJOR dependencies problems.
> Also has anyone setup a Samba system on whitebox to replace an active
> directory 2000 server using Kerberos and LDAP ?
> If you have, I would welcome any clues as to the best way of doing it. I
> have purchased "Samba-3 by Example: Practical Exercises to Successful
> Deployment" and am following that through but if anyone can pass on any
> extra words of wisdom they would be very welcome, and could save me lots of
> time/effort.
----
at this time, Samba is simply not capable of providing Active Directory
Domain and it is not contemplated for the 3.x version at all. I don't
know if they are working on it in head or not.

You question about Kerberos is tricky since there are two different
versions of kerberos, MIT and Heimdal and the linking between samba,
kerberos, ldap, sasl is a complicated mess and one of the things that
differentiates distibutions. I got the impression that most people who
are experimenting with this are compiling into the /usr/local tree
separately from that which is already installed and linked in order to
keep from breaking that which is already there.

You should be addressing these questions to the samba users or probably
even better to the samba-development lists as you are likely to get
better answers there.

Craig