[WBEL-users] Kerberos RPM's of 1.3.1 or later

Denis Croombs denis@just-servers.co.uk
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:48:47 +0100

> > Anyone know where I can get Kerberos RPM's of 1.3.1 or later for
whitebox ?
> > (I have tried Google) and can only find the 1.3.4 for FC and these are
> > giving me MAJOR dependencies problems.
> > Also has anyone setup a Samba system on whitebox to replace an active
> > directory 2000 server using Kerberos and LDAP ?
> > If you have, I would welcome any clues as to the best way of doing it. I
> > have purchased "Samba-3 by Example: Practical Exercises to Successful
> > Deployment" and am following that through but if anyone can pass on any
> > extra words of wisdom they would be very welcome, and could save me lots
of
> > time/effort.
> ----
> at this time, Samba is simply not capable of providing Active Directory
> Domain and it is not contemplated for the 3.x version at all. I don't
> know if they are working on it in head or not.
>
> You question about Kerberos is tricky since there are two different
> versions of kerberos, MIT and Heimdal and the linking between samba,
> kerberos, ldap, sasl is a complicated mess and one of the things that
> differentiates distibutions. I got the impression that most people who
> are experimenting with this are compiling into the /usr/local tree
> separately from that which is already installed and linked in order to
> keep from breaking that which is already there.
>
> You should be addressing these questions to the samba users or probably
> even better to the samba-development lists as you are likely to get
> better answers there.
Thanks for that, I did also post the message to the samba list and have also
been reading more about this and come to the same conclusion.
I have now started setting up samba as a NT4 type PDC and so far that has
worked, but I have to work out how to make the Linux systems use the same
login system as the Windows systems to allow the same users to access the
same data from both systems !

Thanks

Denis

believed to be clean.