[WBEL-users] Kerberos RPM's of 1.3.1 or later

Craig White craigwhite@azapple.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:11:04 -0700

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 10:48, Denis Croombs wrote:

> Thanks for that, I did also post the message to the samba list and have also
> been reading more about this and come to the same conclusion.
> I have now started setting up samba as a NT4 type PDC and so far that has
> worked, but I have to work out how to make the Linux systems use the same
> login system as the Windows systems to allow the same users to access the
> same data from both systems !
----
unix passwd sync = yes

Personally, I use LDAP backend but I think that you can do most
everything with tdbsam backend.

I use webmin (http://www.webmin.com) to create new accounts - depending
upon whether you use ldapsam or tdbsam for backend, you will be creating
accounts on unix filesystem and samba filesystem simultaneously and you
can set both system 'home directories' to the same path. Thus, I have a
fairly simple SSO (single sign on) setup.

The only problem I have seen with webmin is that if you use their Users
and Groups module, it will create the samba user but not their password
and the advanced features such as individual profile/home paths are
reachable only in their LDAP Users & Groups, but not in the Samba module
(yet) or the Users and Groups module - meaning that if you choose
tdbsam, you will have to use the poledit command line tool to set the
advanced features for a user (or use the UserMgr tool from Microsoft).

Craig