[WBEL-users] Kerberos RPM's of 1.3.1 or later

Denis Croombs denis@just-servers.co.uk
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:33:54 +0100

> > Thanks for that, I did also post the message to the samba list and have
also
> > been reading more about this and come to the same conclusion.
> > I have now started setting up samba as a NT4 type PDC and so far that
has
> > worked, but I have to work out how to make the Linux systems use the
same
> > login system as the Windows systems to allow the same users to access
the
> > same data from both systems !
> ----
> unix passwd sync = yes
>
> Personally, I use LDAP backend but I think that you can do most
> everything with tdbsam backend.
>
> I use webmin (http://www.webmin.com) to create new accounts - depending
> upon whether you use ldapsam or tdbsam for backend, you will be creating
> accounts on unix filesystem and samba filesystem simultaneously and you
> can set both system 'home directories' to the same path. Thus, I have a
> fairly simple SSO (single sign on) setup.
>
> The only problem I have seen with webmin is that if you use their Users
> and Groups module, it will create the samba user but not their password
> and the advanced features such as individual profile/home paths are
> reachable only in their LDAP Users & Groups, but not in the Samba module
> (yet) or the Users and Groups module - meaning that if you choose
> tdbsam, you will have to use the poledit command line tool to set the
> advanced features for a user (or use the UserMgr tool from Microsoft).

Thanks Craig,
I must admit I do not fully understand exactly what to do from your
comments.

I am using webmin and it is set to create a Samba user whenever a Unix user
is added (I have no idea what backend is used by default)
I think you are saying that the Unix user is created and it is also created
as a Samba user but with not with a Samba password ? We did not come across
this problem today as we were adding Unix users and the users were able to
access their home drives with no problems using the Unix password(or have I
misunderstood you comments)
I also may not have fully explained that the Linux users are on ( 2 x
seperate Linux thin client servers ) and the samba is a seperate Linux
server that needs to store all the users data !

Regards

Denis

believed to be clean.

Marvin the E-Mail scanner